Tracy N. Betz
TRACY N. BETZ is an experienced trial lawyer and a member of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. She routinely represents companies and individuals in matters involving a wide variety of commercial litigation, including: business and contract disputes, injunctive relief, creditors’ rights and collections, receiverships, intellectual property, non-compete and securities litigation. Tracy is also experienced in matters involving product liability and personal injury, fiduciary and probate litigation, and criminal defense. She has extensive first chair experience and has enjoyed significant courtroom time in both state and federal courts.
- Acted as national litigation counsel for one of the nation's leading floorplan secured financiers managing all aspects of litigation strategy, including complex commercial defense litigation.
- Represented non-profit hospital in obtaining a preliminary injunction against national insurance company to prevent insurance company from terminating its hospital contract which would have resulted in multi-million dollar losses to the hospital.
- Represented prominent motorsports racing equipment manufacturer in obtaining a preliminary injunction preventing national sanctioning body from arbitrarily decertifying all products manufactured by company, which would have effectively put the manufacturer out of business.
- Obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s multi-million dollar claims against company for breach of contract of aircraft purchase agreement where plaintiff consistently disrupted the discovery process and repeatedly refused to answer questions in deposition.
- Acted as litigation counsel in a variety of right to publicity cases involving personalities such as Marilyn Monroe, Rosa Parks, and John Dillinger.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar RICO complaint brought by automobile dealer against large automobile financing company.
Product Liability and Personal Injury
- Represented a leading manufacturer of minimally invasive surgical technologies focused on breast biopsy and tissue removal.
- Successfully briefed and orally argued case where Court of Appeals held that a utility company’s tariff did not make it immune from its own negligent acts when causing several gas leaks in a business. Longarder v. Citizens Gas & Coke Utility, 856 N.E.3d 796 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006).
- Represented multiple plaintiffs in large toxic tort case related to contaminated drinking water.
Fiduciary and Probate Litigation
- Acted as litigation counsel for the Rosa Parks Institute in a high-profile will contest in Detroit over the estate of civil rights icon Rosa Parks
- Represented widow in litigation against her late husband's personal representatives to invalidate a prenuptial agreement that excluded her from sharing in a multi-million dollar estate resulting in a favoring ruling in the Court of Appeals.
- Represented guardian in obtaining temporary restraining order against caretaker who had obtained power of attorney in his favor from an incapacitated person after which over $1 million in assets went missing in a short period of time.
- Represented successor trustee in action to recover funds improperly removed from trust and improperly transferred to third party in violation of both trust agreement and prenuptial agreement.
- Represented clients in forfeiture action, resulting in the return of all funds improperly seized by government.
- Represented client in complex, multi-defendant federal criminal investigation for alleged securities fraud.
- Child Advocates of Marion County, Board Member, 2014- present
- Girl Scouts of Central Indiana, Scout Leader, 2013-present;
- Heather Welch for Judge Campaign, Treasurer, 2011-present;
- Marion County Democratic Judges' Re-Election Campaign, Campaign Coordinator, 2011-2012;
- Terry Curry for Marion County Prosecutor, Finance and Fundraising Committee, 2009-2012;
- Planned Parenthood Young Leaders, Board Member, 2010-2011;
- Marion County Democratic Vice Precinct Committee Person, WAS-31, 2010-present;
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Counsel to the Board of Directors, 2012
- Visibility Committee, 2012-present
- Bar Leaders Series VIII, Graduate, 2011
- Executive Committee, Young Lawyers Division, 2006-2010
- American Lung Association, Lung Walk Committee, 2010;
- Marion County Democratic Judges’ Re-Election Campaign, Campaign Coordinator, 2007-2008;
- Protective Order Pro Bono Project, volunteer, 2005-2007
- Indy's Best and Brightest, winner, 2014
- Indy's Best and Brightest, finalist, 2013
- Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Indiana Super Lawyer, 2015-2017
- Indiana Rising Star, 2010-2012, 2014
- Up and Coming Lawyers 2008, The Indiana Lawyer
- Indiana “Future Star” in Litigation 2008, Benchmark Litigation
|In the News | News Releases | Upcoming Events | Subscribe|
|In the News|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|