William C. Wagner
WILLIAM C. WAGNER is an accomplished trial lawyer focused on complex commercial litigation, environmental litigation, insurance recovery, and white collar defense. He has tried cases in federal and state courts and in arbitrations (AAA, ICDR, FINRA) throughout the United States. Through aggressive case management and technology, he and his team have organized and litigated cases involving hundreds of witnesses and millions of pages of documents. Bill has worked with a variety of experts and has used focus groups and mock trials to provide creative and targeted trial presentations and case assessments. He has helped clients quickly and efficiently investigate and confidently assess cases to achieve favorable resolutions and avoid prolonged litigation.
Examples of recent accomplishments and trials include:
- Complex commercial, trade secret, and privacy and data security litigation
- Successfully represented BAE Systems, one of the world’s premier defense contractors, by obtaining summary judgment against a $125 million breach of contract claim asserting $40 million in lost profits and recovery of general and administrative expenses in a government contract dispute pending before the American Arbitration Association’s International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
- Obtained temporary and permanent injunctive relief, fees and damages in state court against the new employer of five former employees for misappropriation of trade secrets, representing hundreds of millions of dollars in sales, concerning state-of-the-art technology for next-generation radar systems for military test and evaluation ranges.
- Represented numerous companies in response to privacy and data security incidents and breaches, including pre-breach planning and post-breach investigation, strategy and defense.
- Environmental litigation and class actions
- Part of the trial teams that successfully represented the state of Indiana, IDEM and DNR as private counsel against Guide Corporation following a 50-mile fish kill along the White River resulting from sodium dimethyldithiocarbamate contamination.
- Represented General Motors Corporation against U.S. EPA and IDEM removal and remedial actions costing in excess of $200 million and in defense of related mass tort litigation alleging $40 million in damages resulting from polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) contamination.
- Represented numerous manufacturers, dry cleaners and property owners against U.S. EPA and IDEM remediation and enforcement actions and related class action lawsuits involving tetrachloroethene (PCE), trichloroethylene (TCE) and vinyl chloride contamination.
- Extensive experience with Daubert hearings concerning the admissibility of expert testimony on a variety of topics, including medical monitoring, stigma damages and injuries from chemical substances, such as TCE, PCBs and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA).
- Government investigations and white collar defense
- Conducted numerous internal investigations and successfully represented corporations, manufacturers, public utilities, corporate officers and senior managers in response to parallel federal and state regulatory, civil and criminal investigations, grand jury proceedings and prosecutions.
- Successfully represented a Daimler-Chrysler senior environmental supervisor charged with Clean Water Act (CWA) crimes, a senior environmental compliance officer investigated for Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) crimes, a public utility investigated for CWA crimes and NPDES permit violations, and other companies and senior officers charged with complex environmental and financial crimes.
- Obtained a defense verdict as co-counsel representing a real estate appraiser in a two-week federal jury trial involving 12 counts of wire and mail fraud.
- Insurance recovery
- Successfully represented corporations, directors and officers, property owners and other policyholders in obtaining hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance coverage and benefits under commercial general liability (CGL), directors and officers (D&O), professional errors and omission (E&O), fiduciary and other insurance policies, often without the need of litigation.
Bill has received the highest professional rating for general ethical standards and legal ability from Martindale Hubbell and has been regularly recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law and Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants). He has been named a fellow of the American Bar Foundation, the Indiana Bar Foundation and Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society.
Bill is often sought out for his insight on the nuances of expert testimony and the admission of scientific evidence at trial. Each year since 2002, he has been invited to teach trial skills for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. He also holds some of the highest certifications in privacy, data security and insurance, including the Certified Information Privacy Professional / United States (CIPP/US) and Government (CIPP/G) designations and the Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation, and he is member of the ABA, DRI and Sedona Conference.
As a regular contributor to Taft’s Privacy and Data Security Insights blog, Bill writes on matters pertaining to cyber security best practices, defense of class actions and government investigations, and cyber insurance. Bill also contributes to Taft’s Environmental Insights blog.
Recent Publications on the Privacy & Data Security Insights Blog
- Can You Prevent Cyber Attacks to Industrial Control Systems for Advanced Robotic-Based and Chemical Manufacturers with Off-the-Shelf Software and NIST Guidelines?
- Cyber Insurance: Travelers Required to Defend Healthcare Records Storage Company From Class Actions
- Data Breach Victims Have No Legal Remedies Under Indiana Law
- Webinar Replay Now Available on the New Defense Department Cybersecurity Rules
Recent Publications on the Environmental Law Insights Blog
- U.S. EPA Adds Vapor Intrusion to the Superfund Hazard Ranking System, But Will It Last?
- Indiana Adopts USEPA’s New Vapor Intrusion Attenuation Factors
- NIST Releases Guide for Manufacturers and Utilities on Securing Industrial Control System from Cyber-Attacks
- Multi-Million Dollar Insurance Bad Faith Claim in Environmental Contamination Case Affirmed on Appeal
A list of representative matters and significant trial experience is available upon request.
|Law Updates | In the News | News Releases | Upcoming Events | Subscribe|
|View All | Top »|
|In the News|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|