Janica Pierce Tucker
JANICA P. TUCKER’s practice focuses on representing clients in all aspects of employment and labor law. She advises employers regarding legal planning and policy analysis and formulation, including preparation of employee handbooks and represents colleges and universities regarding labor and employment matters, public records, and tenure decisions. She also represents primary and secondary schools. She also represents employers in defense against a broad range of employment claims including sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge matters. As a litigator, Janica is also active in other aspects of civil trial, appellate litigation and commercial litigation as part of her practice. She is also Title IX certified. She provides Title IX training, conducts investigations that include Title IX, Clery, and VAWA.
Active in the community, Janica has been recognized by her peers on numerous occasions. She is also listed as a Rising Star 2017 by Ohio Super Lawyers in employment and labor law.
- Represents employers in planning and preparing policies, handbooks, and procedures for respective companies.
- Represents high level executives and management in employment, separation and non-compete agreements.
- Assist clients in management of and navigation through electronic discovery, including database management and production of electronic information.
- Represents physician practice groups and other healthcare service providers in labor and employment matters and government compliance such as affirmative action plans.
- Represents higher education institutions and secondary education institutions in labor and employment matters, advising clients regarding internal investigations and/or conducting internal investigations.
- Provide management and staff training on employment policies and procedures, such as harassment prevention and management and leadership training.
- Represents employers in a broad range of employment matters including sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge matters.
- Tried six jury trials; two as first chair.
- Argued appeals in Sixth Circuit and Tenth District Courts.
Achievements and Awards
- BV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Commissioner for Board of Grievances and Discipline for the Ohio Supreme Court (2009 – 2015)
- Franklin County Trial Lawyers Association President's Award (2005, 2010)
- Listed as a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers (2005-2007, 2009-2014)
- Recipient, Business First’s “Forty under 40” award for notable professional success and volunteer efforts (2006)
- Emerging Leader Award, John Mercer Langston Bar Association (2006)
- Recipient, Columbus Bar Association’s Community Service Award for time and effort in service to the central Ohio community (2008)
Professional Memberships and Community Service
- Columbus Bar Association; Ethics Committee; Editorial Board Better Lawyer; Judicial Screening Committee (2007 – 2009, 2011 – 2013)
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates; Labor & Employment Section Council
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, Past President
- Central Ohio Association for Justice, Past President
- John Mercer Langston Bar Association, Member
- Columbus Metropolitan Club, Board Member (2015 - present)
- Equality Ohio, Past Treasurer
- Legal Aid Society of Central Ohio (Board Member, 2014 - present)
- YMCA of Central Ohio - Grove City Branch, Board Member
- United Way of Central Ohio, Women's Leadership Council & Key Club (2013 - present)
Speeches and Publications
- Columbus CEO Magazine - New Rules for Overtime Pay (August 2016)
- National Business Institute - Legal Issues in Recruiting and Hiring (2016)
- HR Profile Inc. - Legalized & Medicinal Marijuana's Potential Impact on the Workplace (2015)
- Columbus Bar Association - Master Class Employment Law Institute "EEOC Update" (2015)
- Cities & Villages - The Ohio Municipal League - "ADA, FMLA, PDA & USERRA Leaves - Oh My!" - Co-author (2015)
- Ohio State Bar Association - Employment Law Select Issues - "Pregnancy and USERRA" (2014)
- Capital University Law School Labor and Employment Seminar, “Pending Labor and Employment Legislation under the Obama Administration” (2010)
- Chester Professionalism Institute (2007) – Demonstrative Evidence
- Ohio State Bar Association - Employment Law Updates (2013)
|Law Updates | News Releases | Upcoming Events | Subscribe|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|