Jonathan B. Amarilio
JONATHAN B. AMARILIO focuses his practice in civil appellate litigation and critical motion practice and has been involved in numerous high profile cases. He regularly represents individuals, small businesses, state and local governments, and Fortune 500 companies before state and federal appellate courts, primarily the Illinois Appellate Court, the Illinois Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Jonathan has also served as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Illinois and as a Special Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago in a number of matters. Some of these appellate cases have involved:
- Antitrust claims involving the Foreign Trade Antitrust Improvements Act
- Multi-district class action employment claims
- Large-scale business contract disputes
- Complex insurance coverage, surety, and bond issues
- Electric energy market regulation
- Investment and tax shelter litigation
- Governmental tort immunity
- Administrative law
- Medical malpractice defense
- Personal injury liability
- Municipal liability
- Complex asbestos liability
- Railroad liability
- Election law
- Constitutional claims
- Defamation claims
- Gaming law
- Construction law
Jonathan has been honored as an Emerging Lawyer in 2015 - 2017 by the Leading Lawyers Network, and as a Rising Star by Illinois Super Lawyers in 2014 - 2017.
Before joining the firm, Jonathan clerked for Justice James R. Epstein on the Appellate Court of Illinois, First District, and for Justice James R. Epstein and Justice Michael B. Hyman in the General Chancery Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County.
Jonathan received his B.A., cum laude, from American University and earned his J.D. from the University of Iowa College of Law. During law school, he was captain of the school's National Trial Advocacy Team and was the recipient of the International Academy for Trial Lawyers Award for Distinction in Trial Advocacy Skills.
Jonathan is a contributor to the Illinois Appellate Lawyer Association's blog “The Brief” on topics such as recent rule changes, developments in appellate law and other issues of interest to appellate practitioners. Read the blog here.
Speeches and Publications
- Speaker, "Preservation Makes Perfect: Appellate Tips for Trial Lawyers” Illinois State Bar Association (Feb. 2017)
- Speaker, “Appellate Tips for Trial Lawyers,” CBA Trial Practice Committee (Jan. 2017).
- Moderator, “Arbitration and the Last Frontier of Trial Practice,” CBA/YLS Continuing Legal Education Program (Sept. 2016).
- Author, “The Row over Rowe: What to Do with Facts ‘Between’ the Record,” American Bar Association Litigation Journal, Vol. 42, No. 4 (Summer 2016).
- Panelist, “Developing a Coveted Expertise,” CBA/YLS Lawyer Engagement and Development (L.E.A.D.) Panel Series (Apr. 2016).
- Speaker, “Monday Morning Quarterbacking: Avoiding Problems for Appeals at Trial,” CBA Tort Litigation Committee (Mar. 2016).
- Panelist, "“Preservation Makes Perfect: Appellate Tips for Trial Lawyers," CBA/YLS CLE Seminar (Mar. 2016).
- Author, “The Amendment to Supreme Court Rule 341: Why One Seemingly Minor Change Will Transform the Way We Write,” CBA Record (Jan. 2016).
- Moderator, “Cross-Selling Strategies to Grow Your Book of Business,” CBA/YLS Lawyer Engagement and Development (L.E.A.D.) Panel Series (Dec. 2015).
- Speaker, “Folta v. Ferro Engineering and Its Impact on Workers’ Compensation Practice,” Illinois Workers’ Compensation Association (Nov. 2015).
- Author, “The Mutuality of Mentoring: A Virtuous Cycle,” CBA Record (Oct. 2014).
- Speaker, "Preserving Issues for Appeal at the Trial Level," Chicago Bar Association Breakfast Basics Series (June 2014).
- Author, "Access to Justice and the Effort to Make It Come True: Turning Dreams into Reality," CBA Record (Sept. 2013).
- Contributor, "The Too-Expansive Illinois General Verdict Rule," Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 101, No. 3 (March 2013).
- Moderator, CBA/YLS 2012 Tort Litigation Seminar, Illinois Appellate Practice, "Your Second Chance to Make a First Impression."
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association
- Co-Chair, Speakers Committee
- Member, Rules Committee
- Liaison to the Chicago Bar Association Special Appellate Practice Committee
- Chicago Bar Association
- First Vice-Chair, Young Lawyer Section (YLS)
- Officer, YLS Executive Council
- Member, CBA Membership Committee
- Member/Reporter, CBA Special Appellate Practice Committee
- Liaison to Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association Rules Committee
- Past Second Vice-Chair, Young Lawyer Section (YLS)
- Past Member, CBA Record Editorial Board
- Past Member, 2014 Officer Nominating Committee
- Past Member, CBA Special Committee Assisting the Illinois Supreme Court to Implement Recommendations of the Conference on the Future of Illinois Courts
- Past Co-Editor-in-Chief, YLS Journal
- Past Co-Chair, CBA/YLS Clothes for Success Charitable Campaign
- Past Co-Chair, YLS Moot Court Competition Committee
- Past Co-Chair, YLS Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Past Vice-Chair, YLS Tort Litigation Committee
- Chicago Bar Foundation
- Member, CBF Board Development Committee
- Vice-Chair, 2016 Investing in Justice Campaign
- Ex-Officio Member, CBF Young Professionals Board
- Illinois State Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund
- Scholar Mentor
- The University Club of Chicago
|In the News | News Releases | Subscribe|
|In the News|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|