Michael J. Schaller
MICHAEL J. SCHALLER is a member of Taft's Executive Committee. He has a wide-ranging corporate practice that emphasizes securities and corporate finance law. He primarily focuses in the areas of federal and state regulation of securities, public and private finance, corporation and partnership tax, gaming, hotel and resort development, real estate ventures, and health care law.
Michael has extensive experience in structuring both private and public debt and equity offerings and has counseled both debtors and lenders in workout transactions. He also has special expertise in the structuring of joint venture relationships.
Michael is a Certified Public Accountant in the state of Illinois. He has been awarded an AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethical standards and legal ability. He is also a Leading Lawyer in Illinois, which consists of the top 5% of Illinois lawyers, as selected by his peers.
- Served as corporate counsel for the largest cardiovascular physician practice in the State of Illinois, having worked for more than 10 years with all of the client’s hospital system contracts, joint ventures, employment and shareholder agreements, and day-to-day corporate representation.
- Serves as outside gaming counsel for several cities and counties regarding their casino gaming activities.
- Acted as lead workout counsel for a group of institutional creditors in connection with a $4 billion liquidation of a national real estate developer/syndicator, involving hundreds of properties located throughout the United States as well as in several foreign countries.
- Represented one of the former “Big 8” accounting firms in connection with the settlement and renegotiation of its arrangements with its former consulting affiliate, involving over $300 million in consideration.
- Acted as acquisition counsel on behalf of a group of buyers in connection with their bid to purchase a major Chicago newspaper chain.
- “Investing in Tribal Gaming,” Gaming Law Review, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2005.
|Law Updates | News Releases | Subscribe|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|